Finite Dreams

A girl in search of the meaning of life. I'm slowly finding my place in this thing called life.

Monday, March 06, 2006

The Oscars

Every year, if I had to take one day off from work, it would always be on on the first Monday of March. For a workaholic like me, taking time-off is a big thing. What would actually be the one thing in the world that would make me go on leave in the first place? That would be the telecast of the Oscar cermonies.

Ever since I was a kid, I've always been fascinated by film. The first movie I ever saw was "ET". According to my Mom, I was bawling the whole time I was watching it. Another movie I remember watching as a child was "The Empire Strikes Back". I had difficulty sleeping for a few days because Darth Vader sacred the hell out of me. My parents never made me sleep early because in order to spend more time with me, they would watch movies with me. My sister as part of my education would also play an active part in choosing the films I would watch.

Because of the love I developed for the movies, I ended up looking forward every year to watching the Oscars. I wanted to see if the movies I was watching would hold up to the standards of the bigger stage. God knows the Oscars aren't exactly cutting-edge or even the benchmark of good films. Who gets to vote for these things anyway? But I can't deny that I enjoy the spectacle of watching stars get dressed up, rooting for my favorite nominees and watching the overall program.

This year's list of nominees was very political. There were 2 main themes: tolerance for those who are different and the search for truth in a government system that likes to keep secrets. The front runner for this year though was Brokeback Mountain which had 8 nominations. Was it going to win Best Picture? Everybody thought so. What actually happened during the awards ceremony? It lost to Crash.

WETA won all the technical awards this year for King Kong whether it was for sound or visual effects. Go Peter Jackson! He may not have been recognized this year for any major awards, but we know his next film will rock again! Art direction awards went to Memoirs of a Geisha. Adapated Screenplay was given to Brokeback Mountain. Original Screenplay was won by Crash. Ang Lee got the Best Director trophy, which I think he deserves. I loved his work for Sense and Sensibility. Unlike 90% of the population though, I really hated "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". I'm glad he got it this time around. There were no surprises in the Acting categories. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Reese Witherspoon, George Clooney and Rachel Weisz were all previously recognized in other awards ceremonies.

New films will be coming out again. I wonder who will be on the list of nominees next year? Until then, I'll just keep watching movies.