Finite Dreams

A girl in search of the meaning of life. I'm slowly finding my place in this thing called life.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Surnames

I always knew that if ever I got married, I would either retain my surname or hyphenate it. I recently filled out the forms to update my civil status and name. I insisted that moving forward all official records will still contain my mother's surname and will have my hyphenated surname. Sometimes I still get this surprised look from people who can't understand why a girl with 5 names will want to add another one to the list. I don't know, I guess I'm really just attached to my mother and I don't want to let go of her memory. At the same time, I am attached to my name because I've had that for the last 26 years, why give it up now?

Well, I'll just have to be patient with explaining to hospital nurses/ government agencies why I have 2 surnames put together. It's still not as commonly accepted here in the Philippines unlike in other countries where women get to retain their names. I always wondered why we have to take on the man's surname in the first place? It's tradition, but it's a practice I've always questioned. The best compromise for now really is just to add it. It's just a bummer if you have really long name.